Update from our Hitchcock Economic Development Corporation - More to come...
Major Achievements: 2021
· April 19th, 2021 marked the hiring of the EDC’s new Executive Director, Tyler Robert.
· The Industrial Development Corporation changed to the Economic Development Corporation to better represent the scope of the EDC’s desire to serve the community.
· The EDC overhauled its website, logo, and branding materials.
· Entered into an agreement with Zoom Prospector to provide up-to-date demographics of city population and business community, as well as a commercial retail portfolio used to promote the city on its website.
· It has maintained lead on two sidewalk projects within the city’s downtown district. The Mainstreet Revitalization grant required a 15% match funded by the EDC and will run along MLK Ave from 2nd to 5th street, with a sidewalk to run perpendicular and meet Highway 6 down 3rd St. The second sidewalk grant was awarded to the city through TxDOT and would connect intersections along Highway 6 between 2nd St and Delaney Rd with crosswalks and sidewalks along both sides of the highway. It would also continue sidewalks down Delaney Rd to Highland Bayou along the Chamber fair grounds, with a trail running through the grounds and out towards Highway 6. Final iterations of design are still in development.
· Joined the Bay Area Houston Economic Partnership (BAHEP) to assist with the recruitment of industries which would add primary jobs to the city.
· Purchased and began renovations on the property at 8002 MLK Ave for future use as HEDC office and new commercial development.
· Began the process of expanding the EDC’s authority as a Type A Development Corporation to allow Type B projects. This allows the EDC to allocate funds towards commercial public-private partnerships, downtown revitalization, parks, stadiums, city facilities and other community enhancement efforts. This change does not affect the EDC’s sales tax rate and applies no new taxes.
· The EDC has funded the city’s new Downtown Redevelopment Plan which is expected to be presented to the general public Summer 2022.
· Signed contract with The Retail Coach consulting firm to assist in a national recruitment campaign geared towards bringing new commercial developments within the city. #1 Request: Grocery store and expanding food options.
· Continued recruitment, retention, and expansion efforts of industrial and manufacturing businesses.