he National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.
Property NameStringfellow Orchards
Street Address7902 Highway 6, Hitchcock, Texas
Multiple Property Submission NameN/A
Areas of SignificanceAgriculture, Architecture
Link to full filehttps://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/pdfs/13000043.pdf
Henry Martyn Stringfellow, an influential early Texas horticulturalist, established his well-known orchard in Hitchcock in 1883. Though he began his career in nearby Galveston nearly twenty years earlier, it was here that he solidified his reputation as a pioneering authority on pears. His productivity in Hitchcock coincided with and influenced the emergence of a thriving agricultural economy in Hitchcock. He sold his thirty-acre orchard after just ten years, but in 1920 the Kipfer family once again used the property to sustain an agricultural enterprise. They successfully made a living on the property by operating a truck farm and flower shop until 1989. Stringfellow Orchards is nominated to the National Register of Historic Places under Criteria A for its association with agriculture and under Criterion C for architecture, both at the local level of significance.
Shared from https://www.nps.gov/
The City of Hitchcock is located on Hwy 6 in Galveston County 10 north of Galveston and 30 miles south of Houston.
Hitchcock is a city in Galveston County, Texas, United States. The population was 6,386 at the 2000 census. Hitchcock was created as a station of the railroad between Galveston and Houston in 1873 and around the turn of the 20th century became a vegetable shipping center. The settlement's economy crashed in the 1930s after insect plagues in the surrounding areas, and the area stayed impoverished until the establishment of both an anti-aircraft training base and the Hitchcock Naval Air Station at the beginning of World War II.